Sunday, August 23, 2009

The great Cheese Press build..

And so it begins..

 
 Me and Pete W. started fabricating the fantastic cheese press I'll be using shortly.. What you see here is just a standard 6" diameter piece of PVC pipe and a wooden 'follower' for the press, cut out with my 6" hole saw from a block of White Oak. More stuff to get assembled to this, eventually, but this is the raw basics. Pete got an identical copy too, which he heroically cut out, free hand, with a table saw (the cut on the PVC pipe, not the follower..). This was truly insanity, as I thought at any moment we'd be making a trip to the hospital for a lost arm or broken nose when this thing kicked back from the saw. 
Fortunately, everything turned out OK, and this is the beginning. Still waiting for the stuff I ordered in the mail to arrive, and I've gotta make a trip out to Hartford for a block of cheese wax I forgot to order from the mail order place... but I've been studying a few videos and websites lately and it doesn't look too hard after all. The aging part will be somewhat weird, as I need high humidity and low temps.. (80% humidity and 55-ish degrees for temps..) and I don't have a spare fridge in which to make this happen. We'll figure that out later...

No comments:

Post a Comment