Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Update on a few things..


So this is a poor pic of the Jolly Pumpkin yeast I hijacked from their bottle... I've never seen a ferment quite like it before. It's a really thick chunk of yeast. Super dense, and about 3/4 of an inch thick. Sort like an off colored dollop of sour cream floating on there. The activity in the
 wort itself is very active, but has been going on now for about four days. the temp has ramped up inside the bottle from 65-ish degrees when I pitched this, to just a hair over 67 degrees now. The smell is still of that really floral sort of Mead smell. There's also a hint of a sour smell under there, but I recognise that from the intense sour note the yeast had when I pitched the dregs from the original bottle in. This new beer hasn't had a chance to star souring yet. No word back yet from Jolly Pumpkin personell regarding the questions I posed to them on this stuff. 

As far as that glass of wort I had on top of the fridge.. I came home last night to find it had taken off, fermented, and crashed, all in one shot. *something* got in there and had a wild party and the stuff now smelled like a glass full of garbage. It got tossed this morning. But hey, that's like almost 5 days of infection free wort. My sanitation procedures must be good enough, I suppose. Hell, I didn't even sanitize that glass, come to think  of it. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment