Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Mini-Brew..

So I got all crazy the other day, the day I got sick, in fact, and brewed up a very small beer on the stove top. All grain style! I was eyeballing' my mini-keg of 2.5 gallon capacity and thought "Hey, maybe I can brew something just big enough to fill that little guy.. just for fun" . And I did. I didn't get any pics of the 4.5 lbs of grain I milled for this thing, the pics just sorta pick up from the mashing in phase and go from there..

Here's the photo's to show the event:

The fabricated mini-manifold that just fits a standard stock pot..


Into the mash she goes..



The mash rest in the stove..









Checking the mash temp. Shooting for 152-ish..


The lauter. All in one shot here, no fly or batch sparge for this run. Just a hard core NO sparge..


The clear runoff..










Spent grains..


The finally tally, unboiled, but getting close now...










A non-wide variety of hops. All this beer contains is Challenger, kiddies..











Two hop additions. 3/4oz at 40 minutes (40 minute total boil time. Sick, I know!) and another 1/4oz at 2 minutes to flame out.



A funnel to get 'er in the 3 gallon fermenter and..













..the final resting place. All 2.5 gallons of it.


So, I missed a few steps there with the camera. There was chillin' in the sink style, with ice cubes and all. Didn't take long cause it was such a small volume. My immersion chiller would have destroyed the pot had I tried to use that. Some overkill there, too. Milling grains, I already mentioned. Rehydrating the Coopers dry yeast I used, all 7 grams of it. Heh.. Took about three-ish hours or so to pull this off. It was fun.

We'll see how it goes. I'll keep ya' updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment