Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Challenger Special and some sourdough bagels..

Forgot to post this a few back, but...


Killed it! The Challenger Special, brewed up by Rob and me way back at the end of August.. hopped only with Challenger hops, as you might have guessed. Really tasty stuff.. but no longer.

In other news, the Red beer I did with Timmay is pretty much ready to keg. I'll get around to that soon, so there'll be something new and fun to try. The Dunkel I did with Pete, on the other hand, is flowing fine right now. Good times right there..

Here's a shot of some sourdough bagels I did up last night, from The La Brea Bakery book..



Should have made the rings they're formed from a *little* bigger, as these look more like fat dinner rolls than bagels.. but whatever, they taste really good. The consistency is spot on, though, the first time I think I can say that for my bagels. In the pat, my straight dough bagels have been more fluffy and soft than a bagel should be, but these guys are dense and chewy, bagel proper. I'm wondering if it was the vital wheat gluten, or the slow rise in the fridge that did that? Either way, I might be eating another one this afternoon.. it was that good.

Chickens are still dong very well. The Barred Rocks seem less susceptible to frostbite and cold in general than the Reds.. and I think I'd recommend those to new chicken owners, if I was asked. Plus, they're cute as all get out! And they lay eggs pretty darned well..

'Tis all...

No comments:

Post a Comment