Saturday, May 15, 2010

More electric thoughts...

Still pondering electric brewing.. I think I have the element in the kettle part sorted out now, but I keep coming back to the pump I have and hw I'm going to incorporate that. I came across a new idea today in that you mount the pump inside a small toolbox with just the pump head and valves exiting the box.. keeps the electric part shielded from any stray water and gives the pump itself a safe footing from which to do it's thing. Which is how I broke it in the first place.. not having a stable mount to put it on. There's also a switch mounted on the box, for on and off action, and I think I'll use a male-sided reverse plug on the box, so I can keep the extension cord I have in one piece and not have a big long cord attached to the box running into the thing for power. Less pieces to buy as well, right?

I figure, if I go with the toolbox idea, I can easily use it low (on the floor) or high (on a bench) in the brewery, plus still keep it portable if I wanna take it somewhere to use at someone else's house. The downside is, it's one more thing to move around that's not permanently fixed to the stand. I guess cleaning would be easier, though, since I could bring the pump inside to clean and not have to drag chemicals out there to the stand to get it done.

Now, if only I weren't so skittish around electrical work, this would all be so much better...

No comments:

Post a Comment