Sunday, June 13, 2010

Berliner Weisse brew day...

OK, here's some pics and an update on how things are progressing on the Berliner Weisse. This is a shot of the starters for the lactobacillus strain from WYeast in the foreground, and the raw grains experiment to grow some wild lacto (that was later ditched) in the background.


After the brew day was complete, which was a bit of a departure from the norm, what with a *15* minute boil duration, this is what we ended up with. A yellowish colored, sorta murky stuff. Registered at 1.032 corrected for gravity to 1.034 (I think.. might have been 1.033). We had to add a bit of water to dilute because our o.g. jumped up a bit higher than anticipated.. still trying to figure out the efficiency now with this pump doing constant recirculation. The efficiency does go up a bit, it seems.


Geoff, caught in the act of fudging the numbers via BrewSmith!


And lastly, a picture of Geoff's actual fermenter on the next day.. he's keeping his at about 85-86, possibly higher, because he's using a heating pad to heat from the bottom and he's measuring the temp in the carboy nearer the top.. and this is his result. Total lacto domination. I've just got a heat-lamp going over mine now, with a jacket wrapped around it for insulation and I'm getting only up to 83 degrees measured near the top. I have *nothing* like this sort of activity.. I've got wispy little strands of colonies  floating on the surface and bits of pockets of bubbles and that's it. Nothing nearly as exciting to take a picture of. When I saw this, I called the neighbors (Thanks Deb!) and scored a heating pad to put under mine, like Geoff did.. I'm still ramping up the temp as I type this and hope to have this sort of activity by the end of the day.


Additionally, m pH test strips are indicating a not-moved pH of around 5.2-ish.. a refract reading of 8.5 exactly, which corrects to 1.034 for temp, and a taste test which indicates nothing but sweetness in the jug. Taste test also indicates perfect sanitation, as there's no off flavors of any sort going on in here as well.. at least I've got that going for me!

Stay tuned, true believers..

No comments:

Post a Comment