Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oro de Maggie update, again. I think I've got it!


There it is. Oro de Maggie. The first real taste test of what it'll hopefully be like when it's done, and man, it's gonna be a winner! I noticed yesterday that the small 1/2 gallon bottle I had to the side of the big bottle had finished fermenting and had dropped mostly clear... I couldn't keep well enough alone so I grabbed the glass you see there in the pic, threw in my hydrometer, and filled it up from that small bottle. The end result is 1.008 F.G. and what I believe it a touch of Brettanomyces in the nose, and a bigger hit of truly lactic sourness in the flavor itself. Sweet! I can't believe it's got sourness to it already, but I'll tell you, it really does. I'm confidant that if I kegged it all just like this, carbed it up and put it on tap, people would LOVE this stuff. It's really inspiring to me that I can steal yeast from a really decent beer off the shelf, enjoy that brew, and then remake the thing 20 times bigger the next month on my own. As she stands, it's a 5.8% abv brew... but if the bugs have anything to say, it might go to 6% if given enough time. I'm seriously almost done now with this 12oz glass of 70+ degree room temp, flat beer. It's that nice!

I wonder what my highly hopped pale ale I made with Pete is gonna be like, with this same yeast? Hmm... that might not go over so well, methinks.

In other late breaking news, I went to the eye doc today and ordered up some new specs. Stay tuned for *that* in a couple weeks...

2 comments:

  1. I think you should get a monacle, like Col. Klink

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that would be quite a statement. I wonder if there's a dress code problem with the fellows at work about such a thing?

    ReplyDelete