Friday, January 30, 2009

Slow week, but updates thar be!


So. Slow week. Not much to report. Spent most of the day moving snow around in the drive, so less attention could be paid to the important things in life... like coffee and beer. Nonetheless, I did continue to drink the Guatemala 2007 crop coffee for the third roast session I managed to squeak in yesterday. It's still fabulous. I found that using the Aeropress, I was getting a bit *too much* flavor in my cup than I was looking for. It was getting so sweet (don't believe me that coffee can be sweet? Stop by, I'll make you a 28 gram cup of something in the press and you'll swear it's cough syrup. Yeah, it's that sweet!), that I decided to knock back a couple grams of bean per day till I got to a place I liked. Don't get me wrong, the 28 gram cup was an awesome treat, but it's a bit too much for a day to day go at it.. came back to 25, then 23.. and today, I'm at 21 grams and that seems to be a good spot. I think I'll stay right about here for a while and see how it goes.

As you can see by the label on the left, Uncle Jack stopped by and we had a go round with a Macanudo Gold Label. It was nice. I'm not a cigar aficionado like Uncle Jack is, but this was a definitely recommendable thing. Very mild, good for a dabbler. Tasted the same from the very first light all the way to the band.

In addition, we also broke open a Cantillion Gueuze and drank that up as well. Uncle Jack has had a mild sour beer before, but not a big time, pop your eyes sour like this one. To my surprise, he seemed to drink it up and drank every last bit. Looks like I found a good, serious sour-beer partner finally. Not that drinkin' sour's with Jody isn't fun, mind you. };-) Private joke.. ask Jody about that day. This beer was amazing as always. A shame I wasn't prepared to do anything with it's sour beasties trapped inside.. but I've got too much sour going downstairs right now to worry about this one.

The Oro de Maggie in secondary is still going well. The foam died back down, but the airlock is bubbling like mad still. I'm not sure what's up in there, but we'll just leave it be for the time being. The No-Sparge I did with Pete is still going as well. Big foam on top, lots of yeast jumping activity. This one I hope to be able to leave right in the main bottle and not touch, unlike the Maggie beer... we'll see where that gets us for fermentation times. We're on to the beginning of our third week with the Maggie beer now.. sure takin' it's time. Hope I didn't blow it on two in a row here, usin' that yeast! Stay tuned, true believers...

3 comments:

  1. I don't mind sour.... it's the taste of inner tube I don't like. I might actually buy me a gueze this weekend.

    I absoulutely love your off limits brett beer,,, so I am open to new experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was that we drank that day anyway ????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that was.. hmm.. That could have *been* Cantillion, really. It was on the same level, sour-wise, as Cantillion. You liked the Jolly Pumpkin stuff we had at Waterbury, right? You'd love the Oro de Calabaza I based this one here off of. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete