Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Classic Pale Ale and some damn good coffee

Unfortunately, I've got no pictures of this event, but I brewed with Jody yesterday, and we brewed the blandly named "Classic Pale Ale" from a recipe in BYO mag. No disasters occurred during the day, so I had no reason to change the name from "Classic Pale Ale". As you all may or may not know, my beers are generally named from some sort of bad thing, or disaster, that occurs during the brew session. So, I guess maybe a bland name is a good thing after all? Hmm.. keep that in mind while making your beer selection here next time, eh? ;-)

Anyway, she's fermenting nicely downstairs now. It's mostly 2 row pale ale malt, a 1/2lb of 20L crystal, and a 1/2lb of Caravienna. 1.050 O.G. in the end run, hopped with Columbus and Galena at 60, Centennial at 15 and Cascades at 5. There should be some dry hops in here, which I think I will do at the end of primary after the action subsides inside the glass bottle.

We tasted the Oro de Maggie that was in the spare 1/2 gallon bottle next to the real deal, and what had been a wonderful beer last time I tried it, really tasted quite mean this time around. I hope the big bottle is OK. The small one has been goofed with quite a bit, so I know it's really not the same beer as in the other carboy.. but still.. it makes me nervous.

In coffee news, I'm drinking possibly one of the nicest coffees I've ever had, courtesy of Kevin from NY. He brought me two to play with last time he was up and this one, the Organic Ethiopian DP Bonko "Black Sun" is just not of this world. It's a "blueberry-esque" Ethiopian like you might have had before, but this cup has it all! A wicked good mix of the berry notes, acidity, body, etc. It's *awesome*.

Uncle Jack is coming over tonight and we're going to be cracking open up the only bottle of Oro de Maggie that has ever been capped.. we'll see if that's any good tonight and go from there. He's also indicated that he's going to bring something else special up for a test as well.. but we'll see when that gets here. Stay tuned, true believers! And don't forget, click that Google link before you split..

No comments:

Post a Comment