Monday, September 7, 2009

The big Jalapeno Cheddar post..

Stand back and prepare yourself.. a pictorial view of the Jalapeno Cheddar that I pieced together yesterday afternoon and well into the evening.

Jalapenos there on the left side, just behind the pot of milk.. followed by mad scientist gear, milling of curds, packing of the mold and repacking of the mold over and over. A press of 15lbs, then 30lbs, then 45 and finally 50lbs (the photo with the bottle on the top..) and that's where she sits until 24 hours has passed, which will be when I get home tonight at midnight. More pics to follow..







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'll finish this up with some pics of the air drying time and the final waxing in a few days. This is the new, little press BTW.. seems to have worked well, but the same amount of time is used in making one lb or two.. so I'm not sure I'm going to do all of this again for just one lb of cheese unless it's hard to obtain or very expensive milk. But, I've got the gear and I know it works now.. project is definitely a fun time! Cheese is great fun and the product is, hopefully, as good as the process was to follow..

No comments:

Post a Comment