Sunday, September 6, 2009

Don's beer review, Part I

Here's the suspect in question:

 
This is Don's Blonde ale, he tells me. He states he put in;
"5 lbs 2-row-  steeped
5lbs extra pale extract
1 oz cascade-60 min
1 oz willamette- 5 min
white labs california ale liquid yeast"
And that's the whole shebang. 
In the picture, she looks innocent enough, however... Huge foam with carbonation levels off the chart. A loud "pssfftt" when de-capped. Suspect contamination at work here. Because this is a bomber and I'm drinking this solo, it all goes into a 22oz double wall, straight sided Bodum glass.  Gold is color of choice. Fairly clear in color.. and then, INFECTION STRIKES! There's a definite Brettanomyces wild yeast at work here. Plain as all get out and strong as the day is long. I detect it in the aroma right off the bat. It is inviting to me. A seperate aroma of "chalk" reminiscent of my own Brett beeers... is this just me, with the chalk thing? A big flavor of Brett yeast, with high carbs felt on tongue.. Brett beats the life out of any sutle flavors that might have been here. Atomically small flavor of cherries or strawberries.. A fairly good ammount of residual sweetness still remains, and I have fears that any remaining bottles of this thing will pop soon. Drink it up, Don! Don't hold back for long!

In any case, this is a Brett beer (whether he wanted one or not), and as such, I loved it!  Drank the whole damn bomber solo! I'll mention, I've never had a Brett infused pale ale before.. this was my first. I was contemplating doing one, but have been nervous, as I wasn't sure how it would come across.. I've been under the impression that the darker beers were mostly used as Brett test subjects because the roasty notes left a bit of complexity in there so as to not make it one dimensional.. but apparently, it can work just fine. I'll be looking into more it from here. Thanks for the fix, Don!

No comments:

Post a Comment