Sunday, October 25, 2009

ESB down! Thomas Hooker trip, over! Eggs galore!

Took a Saturday afternoon trip to the Thomas Hooker open house yesterday with Jer and Jody.. had a fine time, indeed. I'm not sure I agree where they're going/have gone with the Oktoberfest, but the Munich took a different change as well, and I rather preferred that version. Jody says, of the Oktoberfest "It's like a little version of the Nor'easter".. and I agree. Since I'm not a big fan of spiced beers, no wonder it didn't totally agree with me. The IPA was on last night, though, and the Blonde was, well.. on tap. Neither great nor terrible. Still, it's always worth the trip to that place.. I like it.

Another pic worth a thousand words:



..which means the ESB I did with Pete W. has been nuked from orbit. In it's place, whihc actually may already e cold and carbed from the extended time it spend waiting it's turn in the keg.. is a fancy little Pale Ale called the Challenger Special, so named from it's use of Challenger hops from beginning to end. Clocking in at a mere 4.5%, it's a session beer.. something I'm rather happy about having.

In chicken news, this morning has produced yet another two eggs from my two good producers, making this the 4th day in a row I've gotten two eggs from them. Nice job, ladies! They're tasty little buggers, with the key word on "little".. Jeremiah brought up a dozen of his chicks Large eggs, and.. to say they dwarfed my chicks eggs is an understatement. Here, have a look:



And heck, that's the second LARGEST egg I've gotten from my flock so far, and I'm not sure that Jer's chicken egg is actually the biggest in the box he brought. It weighs about 40% more than the average of any of our eggs, easily. 

Speaking of chickens, boy, do they like yogurt! One of the kids didn't quite finish up her bowl of 'ghurt this a.m., so the chicks got to experience that for the first time today.. went CrAzY about it.

Speaking of yogurt.. ;-) ..been thinking about giving some yoghurt making a try, too. It's sort of like cheese, I'm told, but possibly a lot easier. I'm still looking into it, but you gotta figure you can save a few bucks making the stuff if the Stoneyfield Farms product you're currently buying is $4 a quart and your kids eat it like it's going out of style. We'll see where that goes, eh? I *love* yogurt, but feel bad when I eat it cause, a) it costs a lot b) I like to eat lots and lots of it, and c) when I eat lots of it, there's less for my babies to eat. And, I'd rather they ate the stuff then me, cause it's better for them than other crappy stuff in the cupboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment