Monday, March 1, 2010

First look: "Jess's Mean 40th" aka Delta Wheat

So here's a first look of the just kegged, and I mean, like, 6 minutes ago.. 'Jess's Mean 40th" American Wheat ale, aka 'Delta Wheat'. As you might have surmised, I've started keeping track of my beers with a military phonetic alphabet designation to go along with the name.. in case I can't think of something for a name, it'll have just a phonetic designation to go along with the beer, in the order in which it was brewed this year, so Delta Wheat is my 4th beer of the year.. but this one is named after Jess V's 40th birthday, which is a mean one! Here's a shot of it, in all it's cloudy glory:


It's currently at 72 degrees, so I'm not apt to drink much.. plus, it's not carbonated, either. It quite literally came out of the primary fermenter a few minutes ago. It has an aroma of pineapple and citrus all mixed together. It's cloudy as all get out, but got down to 1.014 F.G. That makes it a 5.0% abv as of right now. It's also a Brett. 'C' beer.. so it might drop further in the keg as it waits it's turn in line to get into the fridge. I brewed this beer with Pete W., btw.. so, hopefully he's paying attention here.

Flavor is OK! Tastes like.. hmm.. tough call. I think I'm going to reserve judgement here for a bit.. it's sorta hard to pin down. Body is good, no defects I can taste.. seems a little mild on hops, considering what we put into it. I'm getting a hint of a breadiness in the thing.. but can't tell what's going on otherwise. I'm not getting anything in the way of a typical Brett flavor. Interesting. This Brett. 'C' is a really cool yeast.. it just works!

OK, get out of here. Click my google ad before you go, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment