A big one and a little one. The others? Well.. they didn't blow up.. they just bored straight down and looked more like skinny carrots. Dunno what happened there, but these were the two that were useable. So.. I chopped 'em..
Sauté'd 'em in just a bit of olive oil..
..and then slapped 'em with some butter and ate 'em.
They were actually fantastic! I was expecting a more bland, potato sort of flavor, based on what I'd heard 'em these guys, but they were remarkably more tasty than I imagined they would be. I'll definitely be growing more of these next year.
In addition to this, I also pulled the tomato's in off the deck. They were still green out there, and big, but we're expecting a frost tomorrow, so.. ah. Yank 'em and see what we can do with 'em on the window.
This is a few pics of the Global Bucket project I pulled apart and got a glimpse of inside. What a fantastic growing device this and the Earthbox were. Oh yeah, I also pulled the Earthbox apart and got that cleaned up and packed away for the winter. Check out the root development on this thing as it reached through the perforations in the bottom of the upper bucket:
The upper bucket pulled apart from the lower bucket..
Closer shot of the roots and the fill pipe..
And I thought this was pretty interesting. The roots came through the perforations in the upper bucket to reach the water in the lower bucket, as we sorta expected, but instead of getting all crazy in here, they just kinda reached for the water and then stopped. The other two containers were all jammed up and mostly root bound.. they just kept reaching for something they weren't going to find.. but this one was smarter. I'm really looking forward to growing the Romas in cages inside these buckets I'll be doing next year. Should grow like a charm in that arrangement.
Lots more to post.. maybe tomorrow. Carry on..